The Oratorio Chorus has links to Sheffield Cathedral stretching back many years; the Chorus was formerly named Sheffield Cathedral Oratorio Chorus. In 1937 Dr. Reginald Tustin Baker took up appointment as Organist and Master of the Choristers at the Cathedral. In 1949, with the support of the then Bishop of Sheffield and the Provost (as the Dean was then called) of the Cathedral, he set up a Chorus of mixed voices, associated with the Cathedral choir, with the aim of performing, in the Cathedral setting, oratorios and more ambitious and neglected works of the traditional European choral repertoire.
And so, what is now called the Sheffield Oratorio Chorus was born. The Chorus and the Cathedral value these traditional links and both parties are proud to continue them. In addition to performing most of our concerts in the Cathedral, the current Dean, the Very Reverend Peter Bradley, is our President. We still have a strong partnership with the current Master of Music, and members of the Cathedral Choir often contribute to our concerts.